Dear ITSS Members,
IEEE ITSS is opening its call for the 2023 new initiatives proposals. ITSS members are eligible and encouraged to submit proposals. This call is for new initiatives proposals under the IEEE 50% spending rule, where each funded new initiatives proposal must be completed by December 31, 2023. We welcome all activities that can benefit the growth of ITSS and its activity areas (conferences, membership, publications, technical activities, educational activities, and standards).
Please note, the following areas cannot be funded according to IEEE guidelines:
- University, private company, and individual research and development projects, including prototypes and testing products
- Humanitarian activities that are typically funded through other IEEE mechanisms
- Overhead (general and administrative or indirect costs)
- Ongoing activities or operational costs of the applicant
- Construction or building renovations
- Commercial promotion activities
- Personal or commercial loans
- Grants with an individual as the sole beneficiary
- Scholarships to individuals or institutes
- Participation of specific/individual teams at competitions or conferences
- Extensive travel and meeting expenses
- Lobbying or electioneering
- Venture capital for patent–able inventions
ITSS New Initiatives Proposal Preparation and
- Each new initiatives proposal, in principle, cannot exceed the total budget of $40,000.
- Proposals with a budget over $40,000 will be discussed at the ITSS BoG. ITSS BoG reserves the right to make final decisions.
- The ITSS Finance Standing Committee will review the proposals submitted and make an initial evaluation. Recommendations will be made to the ITSS BoG for discussion and final approval.
- Please complete the proposal template using the 2023 IEEE ITSS New Initiatives Proposal Template.docx and submit your proposal to Lingxi Li, VP of Finance, at LL7@iupui.edu with the subject line: “2023 ITSS New Initiatives Proposal”.
- Submission deadline: 11:59 PM on March 31, 2023, US. Pacific Time.
- Notification of funding decisions will be sent out before April 30, 2023
- Reporting mechanism: Within 30 days of the project completion, the new initiative leader(s) shall submit a final report to the ITSS Finance Standing Committee. At a minimum, the report should include a summary of major activities performed, an assessment of the project outcomes (including benefits to ITSS and lessons learned), and the possible continuation or expansion of the project.