The IEEE ITSS Standards Committee, led by the IEEE ITSS VP Standards Activities, was launched in 2019. The ITSS standardization activities target direct contributions to the development of IEEE standards, led by the IEEE Standards Association (SA), in the ITS domain, covering cooperative and automated driving, multi-modal mobility network management, and sustainable (use of) digital and physical infrastructure.
To strengthen the position of IEEE standards activities by enhancing, in a broad range of industries, the efforts for the development of global standards in the domain of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), targeting industry-driven standards with prominent deployment potential that entail substantial benefits for the industry and the society as a whole.
Play an active role in activities concerning standardization for ITS, by closely monitoring, analyzing and evaluating the ongoing technical developments and progress in the ITS domain, the status of ITS standardization efforts, and the needs for new ITS standardization initiatives; and by initiating such initiatives as appropriate. All this in close cooperation with all parties having an interest in ITS standardization, especially industry, but also other groups involved.
- Establish liaisons with IEEE SA, relevant IEEE societies, and standardization bodies outside IEEE;
- Bring industry players on-board to actively participate in the standardization initiative, process and development, while envisioning the landscape of ITS applications;
- Collect specific needs and requirements for potential IEEE ITS standards and contribute to the standards development;
- Initiate new ITS-related standardization activities as deemed relevant.
The IEEE ITSS standards activities are open for any interested party or person. Active contributions from volunteers are encouraged.
Contact Meng Lu, VP Standards Activities
- Organize events (e.g. meetings/workshops, industry round-tables) at IEEE and non-IEEE conferences, and standards activities or industry events in various geographical regions;
- Establish liaisons with IEEE SA (in line with relevant focuses identified by IEEE SA, e.g. Mobility, Autonomous & Intelligent Systems and Connectivity & Telecom), other standardization bodies (e.g. ISO and SAE), regulatory and government bodies (e.g. European Commission and US DOT);
- Disseminate details of the ongoing ITSS Standards Activities;
- Invite liaison partners to contribute to various events organized by the ITSS and its Standards Activities;
- Facilitate engagement of industry participants;
- Make web casting as an integral part of the ITSS Standards Activities, for wider participation and to increase impact of the ITSS Standards Activities.
- Focus on industries as opportunities permit;
- Organize regular ITSS Standards Activities events, at least two per year in different regions of the world;
- Contact other IEEE ITSS VPs and ITSS New Initiative/Project organizers and add the standards topic to the program of ITSS events;
- Stimulate activities related to ITSS Standards Activities and accept requests to present the status of ITS standards development at IEEE Societies, Councils, Sections, Chapters, and organizations;
- Determine the budget of the ITSS Standards Activities for Y+1 by October each year;
- Identify active ITSS Standards Committee members, and engage them in the ITSS Standards Activities;
- Determine the ITS standards to be targeted;
- Collaborate with IEEE SA, relevant IEEE societies, other standardization development organizations, and synergize planned activities (see also Appendix I).
Pursuing Funding Opportunities
- Address industry requirements through feedback to the ITSS Standards Activities;
- Apply for funds of the ITSS New Initiative/Project, and of IEEE SA, when needed.